Aug 18, 2013

Taste the Heat By Rachel Harris

 This is one spicy dish you don't want to miss!



Book Description (from Amazon)

 One sexy fire captain. One Cajun chef. One combustible kitchen…
When chef Colby Robicheaux returned home to New Orleans to save her family restaurant, the last person she expected to reconnect with was her brother’s best friend and her childhood crush. As tempting as a sugar-coated beignet, Jason is one dish she can’t afford to taste. Colby can’t wait to leave the place where her distrust of love and commitment originated and go back to Vegas. 
Fire captain Jason Landry isn’t looking for love, either. Disillusioned by his past, he knows he should be focusing on finding the perfect mother for his daughter. But when he first sees Colby, all grown up and gorgeous, he can’t help but be drawn to her. And when she suggests a no-strings-attached fling, Jason can’t say no. 
As their relationship grows more intense, Colby finds that Jason isn’t as easy to leave behind as she thought. Could turning up the heat on something real be worth the possibility of getting burned?

 This book review is by Flamingo at The Sarcastic Palmtree
I would like to mention that this book is an adult book and I wouldn't recommend it for those under 18.  That being said, it was one of the most tame adult books I have ever read and was very light on suggestive material and not explicit at all.  

Taste the Heat by Rachel Harris was a book I wanted to read from the minute I read what it was about.  I thought it had the potential to be a whole lot of fun and I was right!  The characters in this book were so well done and well rounded.  I loved how this book was so upbeat and positive, even though the characters had been through a lot, they were living basically good, happy lives.  There wasn't a bunch of lies hovering around everyone and that was very refreshing.

My dad was a fireman so we often visited the firehouse and I always thought as a little girl the guys were a lot of fun. I have a soft spot in my heart for fireman anyway so that made me like Jason from the start.   I also liked that although Colby was the professional chef, Jason could cook!  He took care of the guys at the firehouse even on his days off stopping food off so they would eat well.  This was one of the ways you could see he was an all around great guy. 

Colby was a fun character.  Although she wasn't necessarily happy to be back in New Orleans to take care of the family restaurant she did it anyway and was willing to be okay with it.  I like that in an adult character.  She was so good to everyone in her family, and especially Jason's daughter Emma.  Even though I have 3 kids, I'm not a fan of other people's kids and it would be hard for me personally to do some of the things she was willing to, just help Emma feel important and special.

I loved both Colby and Jason, but Emma, Jason's daughter was awesome as well.  She is a 12 year old girl who is so spunky and cute you just want to eat her up!  I live with a 12 year old girl, and although their personalities are different, I could see so much of the same attitudes and behaviors in Emma which made her very real and well written.  I loved it!  I like the fact she wasn't a whiny tween even though she had been dealt a tough hand in life. Jason has done a splendid job with raising her, showing once again how great he is to the people her cares about.  I also loved that Jason calls her "Bug". That is the nickname we have for our 8yo so that really hit my heart. 

I love the tension between Jason and Colby.  They were constantly joking and sarcastic with each other but also very attracted to each other.  It made the story so enjoyable.  They both are hurt in different ways and have closed themselves off from loving someone for different reasons which is why they made the deal to just have a fling. This of course was what ultimately helped them realize they were perfect for each other.  They have a lot of things to work through, especially Colby, but Jason is so willing to help her through everything that you can't help but just love him! 

This book was a light hearted and enjoyable story.  I think it would be tasty dish for anyone that is looking for a spicy romance with a little bit of fun!


I give Taste the Heat 

8 really hot Jalapeno Peppers


Also, I think we need to throw in Jason's fire hose just in case we need to put out a fire that may start due to all the spice that's thrown into this book! 


No comments:

Post a Comment